Sunday, September 22, 2013

Special Message for L4A Batch 2010-2011

Posted: Apr 28, '11 4:26 AM
RCMCORNER.Multiply.com
for everyone

There are two things that I do not like doing. First, attending parties, and second, writing my speech. Since I was told that that I should do at least one of these tonight, I am constrained to write a simple message to you. My predicament prevented my presence in your gathering tonight. Anyway, I hope that this will make up for my absence.

            This is the nth time that I was invited to attend a celebration for graduating BSLM students. In several instances in the past, I always had a convenient excuse not to be around. Well, last year, a chronic back pain provided the excuse. But today, it is different. I have to be around at the place where I am now—it’s both duty and privilege.

When you get old, you’ll find out that many things should be taken seriously.  I say older because you are still young despite the looks in the faces of some of your seatmates.  Rejoice because you are still young. You still have the magic in your eyes and the wonder in your heart. As you go older, you’ll find out that life is more of a challenge, a process of becoming.

            The four years that you have spent taking up the BS Legal Management program are incomparable with any event in your life. After you received your diploma, and when you try to look back, you could sense that those four difficult years seem like one day only—a day of excitement, intolerance, disappointment, uncertainty, and fear.   You could not bring back time of course. Time flies, and we, with it. You have to settle with remembering those great days of your life.

            You would remember some of your teachers with respect. Some would be remembered for their rudeness or bigotry. Some would be recalled for their stupidity while others would be remembered as mere copycats. And of course, there would be those who are not worth remembering at all.

            Despite all the heartaches and headaches, you could proudly tell others that the institution which gave you your diploma is the best of schools. Indeed, that college in Mataas na Lupa,  Lipa City is the best school in Mataas na Lupa, Lipa City. That is your Alma Mater; you have no other option but to be proud of it.

Of course, I would remember you. I could recall each one of you; there’s no doubt about it. How could I forget you when you are the only class who made a biography in a legal writing course? Well, not everyone had been extended the privilege of taking up the legal writing course under me.
  
            On top of this, I know that you could not forget me. I know how difficult it has been for you.  Attending a Statutory Construction class at 7:30am and standing for at least an hour during recitations are experiences that you would not always have in your life.  Having a hot headed teacher is always terrifying. A demanding teacher is always hated.  I know that you have felt this, especially during your early days under me.  I know that it has been difficult for you. I know that if you had been given a chance, you would ask for a teacher who is lenient and who would impress and patronize you. But that’s not how life should be. Life is challenge. It is a process. It is a becoming.  It is a struggle, sometimes with pain and with tears but always with joy.  You have experienced life in my class. You have felt it. And I hope that you would remember those days when you have felt that you’re still alive.

            Few days after tonight, I will no longer be your teacher. Well, insofar as I am concerned, you were just one of the students that have crossed my path. You are special just as all other students had been special. For a time, we might have shared the same road and have walked together— this did not make you extra-special however.   I have treated you the way mortals are to be treated.  And you are mortals, not demigods.

            Now, you have to travel alone.  Along the way, you will meet some other persons who can enrich your life.  Stick with them. Learn from them good things as good things do not grow out of speculation but from experience and examples.  Experience life and feel it as a precious gift. Take risks. Never be afraid.

            In your dealings with anyone, especially with your friends, bear this in mind: DO NOT BREAK A PERSON’S TRUST. You cannot bring back a broken trust. You can never mend it. Strive hard to make your word your bond.  Be credible always.  Do not use anyone or allow others to use you for their ambition. Be ambitious if you must but be fair always. Stand up even if it will cost you dearly. Stand up even if you have to risk things that are precious to you.  And remember, always remember: With good looks comes great responsibility!

March 28, 2011, Lipa City.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers